The challenge of knowing what's for dinner before 5:00

The challenge of knowing what's for dinner before 5:00.
Join me for this culinary adventure. Taste the successes and avoid the failures! Eat for your own pleasure!

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

For you Mere :-)

I didn't have much time to write when I posted the salmon recipe yesterday. Since I have some time to write today I MUST tell you that the salmon recipe is absolutely DELICIOUS. Seriously. I am not kidding. I think it was the best salmon recipe I have ever made....by far. I am pretty sure my hubby would agree and then some! I packed the leftover in his lunch and he actually called to tell me how delicious it was....and that is saying something!! He even made a specific comment about the salsa! So, if you want to wow someone- give this recipe a try. A few notes- I actually cooked my salmon in a skillet since I don't even know how to turn on the grill (grilling and homemade lasagna is handled by Brian). I also omitted the hot pepper because I wanted Johanna to try it, and she's not a fan of the super spicy stuff. I implore you to give it a try!

Now onto today's recipe- Vegetable Enchiladas. I got this recipe from whole foods when they did one of their tasting events on a Friday night. I was amazing by how AWESOME these enchiladas tasted. This recipe is also gluten free and easily vegan if you use Daiya vegan cheese instead of regular mozzarella.
I don't have the specific calories count, but it can't be bad because the ingredients are all good for you and low calorie. I actually made this in a 9x9 plan and layered it like a vegetable enchilada lasagna. It made it a lot easier to put together to use a pan that had higher sides. I still got four corn tortillas on each layer. I didn't have to use parchment paper because I used a Pampered Chef stone (which is non-stick).

Vegetable Enchiladas
Serves 4

Ingredients:

2 cups fresh corn
1 cup bell pepper strips
1/2 onion, diced
3 tablespoons lime juice (from 1 or 2 limes), divided, plus lime wedges for garnish
1 1/2 tablespoons salt-free chili powder, divided
1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added pinto or black beans, rinsed and drained
4 tablespoons chopped cilantro, divided
1 (15 ounce) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
8 ounces leafy greens
8 corn tortillas
3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella (optional- could also use vegan cheese)

1. Preheat oven to 400. In a large pot, combine corn, onion, bell peppers, 2 tablespoons lime juice, 1 tablespoon chili powder, tomatoes, and greens and cook over medium-high heat until liquid is almost evaporated (about 10 minutes).

2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mash beans with 2 tablespoons cilantro and remaining 1/2 tablespoon chili powder and 1 tablespoon lime juice.

3. Arrange corn tortillas on a large-parchment paper baking sheet (or in a 9x9 pan). Spread bean mixture evenly over tortillas. Top each with about 1/2 cup of the vegetable mixture and some cheese. Continue this layering process until all ingredients are used (I used 12 corn tortillas). Bake until hot throughout and cheese is melted, about 15 minutes. Transfer to plates and garnish with remaining cilantro and lime wedges. Serve and enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment