The challenge of knowing what's for dinner before 5:00

The challenge of knowing what's for dinner before 5:00.
Join me for this culinary adventure. Taste the successes and avoid the failures! Eat for your own pleasure!

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Honesty.....and Salmon

So, let me just be honest and say that just because a menu is planned for the week doesn't mean that it actually happens. Last night I was planning on making sushi. I've never made sushi. However, I have eaten A LOT of sushi. I had all the ingredients, and my hubby got me all the necessary utensils and some beautiful serving dishes for Christmas.

I should have been able to make sushi and serve it beautifully. However, when I saw how long it takes to make sushi rice I threw in the towel before I started (I will try again someday...promise). Let's just say it had been one of those days. You know what I mean- one of those 8 errands to run with kid in tow plus dance class days where your cart keeps rolling away while you are trying to load groceries in your car because the store parking lot is a hill (what idiot planned that?). The type of day where you run 2 hours later than planned, spend $30 more than planned, and your favorite pen ends up in the toilet at Whole Foods (don't ask). Yeah. Enough said.

So, instead of making salmon sushi, I made salmon for my husband and fed my kid cereal for dinner. Yup- just being real. At least the salmon was awesome! Here's the recipe-

  • Baked Salmon

  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 6 tablespoons light olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
  • 2 (6 ounce) fillets salmon

Directions

  1. In a medium glass bowl, prepare marinade by mixing garlic, light olive oil, basil, salt, pepper, lemon juice and parsley. Place salmon fillets in a medium glass baking dish, and cover with the marinade. Marinate in the refrigerator about 1 hour, turning occasionally.
  2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  3. Place fillets in aluminum foil, cover with marinade, and seal. Place sealed salmon in the glass dish, and bake 35 to 45 minutes, until easily flaked with a fork.
*I actually marinated them in an 8 inch square baking dish and then baked them in the same dish with foil covering the top. Worked like a charm.

My husband said this was the best salmon he ever had, and my daughter kept stealing bites right before she went to bed! I hope you all are able to try this dish minus the day that lead to it!

1 comment:

  1. LOL! Oh well. Sushi some other time. This sounds great! Love you!

    ReplyDelete