The challenge of knowing what's for dinner before 5:00

The challenge of knowing what's for dinner before 5:00.
Join me for this culinary adventure. Taste the successes and avoid the failures! Eat for your own pleasure!

Friday, February 11, 2011

Hot Morning

Let's get to know each other. I feel like sharing recipes is kind of a personal thing. I am not one of those people who won't share my favorite family recipes or anything like that, but what we put into our bodies is so important. I guess what I mean is that I think it requires some trust for you all to want to keep coming back to this site (please!). So I thought I should tell you a little bit about myself. If you want to know more or ever have questions about recipes, feel free to email me.

I am a used to be middle school math and science teacher (LOVE those 7th graders!) who recently became a Stay At Home Mom (SAHM) for my 4 year old daughter. I first fell in love with baking working as a baker at a summer camp when I was 17. I have since learned to love to cook (that was definitely a more learned behavior!).

I strongly believe in the important of feeding our bodies good food, and that we reap what we sow. This DOES NOT mean that I never eat food that is considered fattening or "bad for you." Did I mention that I have a sweet tooth? Actually, I think I have several. What this DOES mean is that you will never find a recipe of this page that isn't from scratch or uses prepared mixes of some sort. I feel SO MUCH BETTER since I cut all preservatives and man-made chemicals out of my diet. Now if I try to cheat (with say a bag of cheetos...yum), I get physically ill. So, in the name of protecting my family's health and saving them from dealing with a sick mama.....no preservatives here.

I also believe in the quality of ingredients. Yes, I will freely admit that I am part of the movement that believes in gardening, local farmers markets, and basically just knowing where my food comes from. That is all I will share of my soapbox (for now!). I also want to share that I am practical at my core. That means that I still buy certain things at Aldi (love that store!), and I am always looking to save money without compromising my family's safety or health.

I guess that is me (as a cook) in a nut shell.

So, on to the food that I actually wanted to post about this morning!

I am a stickler for breakfast. It is my favorite meal of the day, and I pretty much have to have a hot one everyday. There is something about a hot breakfast and a cup (or three) of dark coffee that gets my morning off to a good start (minus my kid whining for marshmallow cereal- I told you we are normal, right?). However, many mornings are rushed, so I have a rotation of about three or so hot breakfasts that I can quickly do throughout the week.

Today was delicious! Steel cut quick oats topped with fresh strawberries, blackberries (on sale at Whole Foods this week!), a small squirt of organic blue agave. To the side I enjoyed a poached egg and a slice of turkey bacon. I normally don't have any turkey bacon, but I used some for a recipe and cooked up the rest to use throughout the week. My husband thinks he's gone to heaven! This whole meal took only 7 minutes to prepare (and probably less time to eat!).

Come back later! Lunch and a very special dinner still to come! Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment